Lagos is the most eastern town in Vélez Málaga with El Morche (Torrox district) to the East and the river Gui being a natural border, and Sayalonga to the North.
The geographical location of Lagos, regardless of its territorial unity to Velez Malaga municipality, also has a historical explanation. Since 1501, Malaga had jurisdiction over 27 small towns in the Axarquia (from Benajarafe to Maro along the coast).
Backed by the Constitution in 1821 and during the Liberal Triennium, Algarrobo, Torrox, and Nerja among other towns, became municipalities with their own Town halls.This was not the case of Lagos as it did not reach the one thousand inhabitants that were necessary, remaining therefore as part of the Municipality of Velez Malaga.
Among its treasures, Torre Vigía (watch tower) dating from the XVII century, stands out.