It was founded in 1591 by the Barefoot Carmelite Order. It was also one of the most important Convents in Velez Malaga, but during the Liberal Triennium in the XIX, the property was disentailed and the monks were evicted in 1821.The Church became Malaga Diocese property and the remainder was passed on to private individuals, as it was the case of its orchard which was transformed into a bull ring. In 1884 the Church was disaffected from its liturgical use and was turned into a Theatre. The only thing that remains today is its Cloisters and Meditation Courtyard which is inside the courtyards of the new buildings, and a theatre with an important Mannerist style façade.
It was refurbished in the early 1990 decade to recover its function as a Municipal Theatre in the city of Velez Malaga.
Location: Plaza del Carmen (Carmen Square)
Opening hours: According to the performances.
Telephone inquiries: 952558640
Source: E.M.C. Artistic and Historical Department. Culture and Heritage Council